Ways We Can Reduce Plastic Waste
The consumption of single use plastic is at an all-time high, accounting for half of the plastic we use each year. While single use plastic has a life of about 12 to 15 minutes, it can take up to 500 years to disappear, according to Life Out of Plastic (LOOP). Unfortunately, plastic will not only outlive us but our next generation too.
As consumers, we can counteract the planetary effect of plastic consumption by making small adjustments to our everyday lives and purchasing habits. Reducing your plastic consumption is easier than you might think. Learn how to reduce plastic use at home with 5 simple steps that over time can make a huge impact.
5 Steps to Reducing Our Plastic Waste:
- Replace Plastic Tupperware with Sustainable Alternatives: If you’re big on food storage containers, whether at work or for home, replacing your plastic Tupperware with glass or steel containers is a great first step. These more sustainable options are beneficial to both your health and the health of our planet.
- Buy in Bulk: Purchasing more bulk food means fewer packaged products with containers that overrun grocery stores like polystyrene trays, PET bottles and more. Buying in bulk reduces the environmental impact of unnecessary and harmful packaging that ends up in landfills.
- Update Your Shopping Bag: Eliminate your consumption of plastic bags and make the switch to grocery shopping with cloth bags.
- Educate Yourself: Understanding the importance of reducing plastic consumption is the first step in making healthy changes. Start with valuable information on plastic bags and their impact on the world of recycling, along with the staggering statistics of just how long single use plastics take to biodegrade.
- Replace your Everyday Essentials: From replacing plastic utensils and straws, to making the switch to boxed detergent, natural sponges, metal razors and wooden combs, plastics have played a large part in our everyday life but making simple changes over time can make a powerful impact.
Understanding Why Reducing Plastic Pollution is So Important
Why Reduce Plastic Waste?
The statistics are staggering with 500 billion plastic bottles produced every year in the world. In 2020 alone, more than 500 million tons of plastic was generated.
While many people are under the assumption that the majority of the plastic consumed gets recycled – shockingly, only about 9% of all plastic produced actually gets recycled.
So, where does the plastic that doesn’t get recycled go? All of the plastic that doesn’t get recycled ends up in landfills, or as litter and even ending up in our oceans. Each year, around eight million tons of plastic ends up in our seas and oceans.
What’s the Problem with Plastic Bags?
Every year we use about half a trillion plastic bags. According to experts, plastic bags can take up to 500 years to biodegrade, while simultaneously wreaking havoc on wildlife.
Looking for what to do you with your existing plastic bags? Stop creating more waste and either 1) reuse the ones you already have or 2) recycle them in plastic bag approved recycling bins.
Small Changes for Every Day
Invest in a Reusable Water Bottle
Start today by incorporating environmentally friendly steps to reduce your plastic consumption. Find plastic replacements that work for both your lifestyle and budget.
Want an easy way to start? Eliminate your consumption of single use beverage containers and invest in a reusable water bottle. Now, more than one million plastic bottles are used per day worldwide and making this change is one of the easiest ways to reduce plastic waste in your home.
Explore CamelBak’s collection of water bottles for every day and find the perfect companion for your daily commute, gym time, outdoor excursions and everything in between. Shop water bottles just for kids, hydration packs for hiking and biking or waist packs perfect for weekend getaways.
While you’re at it, making the switch from disposable coffee cups is easy too! Shop our reusable travel mugs for a quick and easy option for every day.
Adapt to a cleaner and healthier plastic free life, one step at a time. Make changes as you start to feel more comfortable and before you know it, you’ll have put a real dent in your personal household plastic consumption.
Learn more about the importance of sustainability and the power of working together with small everyday changes that can truly add up to something big.
Let CamelBak help you upgrade your accessories and make healthy adjustments to your everyday life – with products designed for a better you AND planet earth.